top of page
A Kiwi experience, standards of excellence, Cambridge qualifications
Carey College asian student

Carey College welcomes International Students and others living away from home. Normally those students must be enrolled in Junior or Senior College, but in special circumstances we may accept International students in Primary classes if they are living with at least one parent.


When we enrol students who are not living at home with their parents, we undertake to

  • Teach the courses in which they are enrolled

  • Monitor caregiving and homestay provisions to ensure students are safe and well cared-for

  • Liaise with caregivers and pastoral caregivers regularly

  • Provide support and guidance for students

  • Arrange health and travel insurance


When you start at Carey College we will introduce you to your International Student staff and other pupils, and will help you learn about the school and how your course will be taught. We will go through our policies and explain them to you—you are encouraged to ask for help or advice at any time.

Away From Home



  • You can talk to staff briefly before and after school. If you need to talk about anything in detail please make an appointment.

  • Parents, Caregivers and Homestay Providers can email us at or from the contacts page on our website

  • You can phone the school 09-570-5873 and leave a message any time (we do not normally answer the telephone so please do leave a message). We reply to messages between 4:00 pm and 5:30 pm daily.

  • In an Emergency outside of school hours you can text or phone the Principal on 274143221

  • You can post letters to us at 21 Domain Road, Panmure, Auckland 1072


In any situation where your immediate safety, or the safety of others is threatened, you should phone 111.  It is a free call and the people who answer (Police, Fire, Ambulance) can be trusted.




International Students enrolling in Carey College must

  • Have a student visa to study in New Zealand

  • Be linked with a local Christian Church that cooperates with Carey College

  • Be in the care of a parent or (if a Secondary Sutdent) in the care of deisgnated Caregiver who must be relative or close family friend

  • Stay with a parent or a Homestay Provider selected by parents

  • Be able to study at an appropriate level in English

  • Obtain insurance through Carey College

  • Pay a Welfare Fee in addition to our standard fees


Code: Carey College is a signatory to the Code of Practice for the Pastoral Care of International Students published by the New Zealand Qualifications Authority (NZQA). Copies of the Code are available on request from this College or from the NZQA's website


Health and Travel Insurance: Most international students are not entitled to publicly funded health services while in New Zealand unless they are:

  • A resident or citizen of Australia; or

  • A national of the United Kingdom in New Zealand.

If you do not belong to one of these special categories and you receive medical treatment during your visit you will be liable for the full costs of that treatment.  Therefore we arrange suitable Travel and Medical insurance for all international students as a condition of their enrolment with us.


Immigration: Full details of visa and permit requirements, advice on rights to employment in New Zealand while studying, and reporting

requirements are available through the New Zealand Immigration Service, and can be viewed on their website at


International Student Fees: International Students pay the same tuition fee as other students in their school year, plus an International Student Welfare Fee. 


English Language Requirement: International Students enrolling in courses leading to external qualifications must have passed a Carey College (or equivalent) examination in English to a satisfactory standard. Examples are:

  • A pass at Year 10 for student taking a course leading to a Year 11 qualification

  • A pass at IGCSE or Year 11 for students taking a course leading to AS or A levels qualifications




Homestay Providers are appointed by parents. However, the school has a responsibility under the Code of Practice for the Pastoral Care of International Students to check the suitability of and monitor provisions. Homestay Providers are responsible for providing safe, Christian, compassionate and healthy care. This goes beyond providing "space to live" and includes providing the sort of care and guidance parents would provide.

  • Attitudes and Christian faith should be appropriate to care for the student and effective, sensitive communication with the student, the student's parents and the school.

  • Knowledge and skills should be appropriate for dealing with an international student’s emotional, behavioural, cultural, and spiritual need, and effective resolution of any conflicts.

  • Personal qualities must include ability to be a good role model, willingness to work in partnership with Carey College, the international student, and international student’s parents.

  • There must be adequate and appropriate accommodation, acceptance by other children in the home, a stability of family, and enunciation of appropriate disciplinary and guidance strategies.


The home should be a typical New Zealand dwelling that is clean, secure and warm. Minimum requirements are:

  • Private bedroom for the international student.

  • Wardrobe and chest of drawers and other appropriate bedroom furniture.

  • Study desk and chair with adequate lighting.

  • Standard bed with linen and blankets or duvet.

  • Heating appliance.

  • Clean and available laundry, bathroom, and toilet facilities.

  • Provisions for emergency situations (e.g. smoke alarms, a full first aid kit).

  • Access to a telephone.


Homestay Providers and those over the age of 18 in the home who will have regular contact with the student must have a Police vet conducted. Each person to be vetted will be given a form to complete and hand to the school. 




Carey College is a signatory to the Code of Practice for the Pastoral Care of International Students which is a mandatory code established by the

Government. As part of that code we must ensure students are receiving appropriate pastoral care. International Students (and other students not living at home with their parents) are enrolled on condition that a church recognised by the school as generally upholding the Christian faith of the school will agree to provide pastoral over-sight of the pupil.


An officer of the church must meet with the school (in school hours) at least once a term to discuss the general pastoral oversight of the pupil. The church must:

  • provide appropriate orientation in cultural and social adjustment

  • provide continuing assistance in adapting to the cultural environment

  • confirm the student is attending the church regularly (at least weekly in ordinary circumstances)

  • visit the home regularly

  • take appropriate steps to satisfy itself that the pupil is properly cared for

  • ensure that the pupil has satisfactory communication with parents.


Appropriate pastoral care will include:

  • provision of biblical nurture and guidance

  • ensuring the student knows and has access to a suitable counsellor and knows when to approach that person

  • establishing effective, sensitive communication with the student, the student's parents, the caregivers and the school

  • regular informal contact with the student that will include active assessment of the student's emotional, spiritual and social adjustment




This is a small school and all students have direct access to the Principal and other staff members. We have a detailed policy about complaints which will be given to pupils or parents on request; the main points are:

Parents and pupils are advised that 

  • The classroom teacher is the best person to talk to about lessons, course content or class management.

  • Senior staff are the right people with whom to discuss school policies.

  • The Principal or the Chairman of the Governors may be approached at any time about any school matters.

  • In particular, the senior lady member of staff is a person female students may approach about any issue, and the senior male member of staff is a person male students may approach about any iussue.

  • If for any reason they wish to approach another staff member they may do so at any time.

  • All staff will facilitate the resolution of problems.

  • Any student who is not satisfied that a grievance has been resolved by discussion may give a written statement of grievance to the Principal who will investigate the grievance (including meeting with the student and any other parties) as soon as is practicable. If on investigation the grievance cannot be resolved, the Principal, the student and his parents or welfare service provider should meet to attempt to resolve the issue. Following such consultation, the Principal shall issue a final declaration that shall be determinative.

  • It should be noted that should a student or any other body believe there has been a breach of any statutory code or law an appeal may be possible to a relevant appeal authority. If this does not resolve your complaint relating to the Code of Practice 2016, you can contact the New Zealand Qualifications Authority (NZQA) by phone on 0800 697 296 or email  Or, if it is a financial or contractual dispute, you can contact iStudent Complaints by phone on 0800 00 66 75 or their website:



Arrangements made by parents must be approved by us

  • before the student begins at Carey College

  • before any changes are made to a  Caregiver or Homestay

  • before anyone else aged 18 or over comes to stay in the same homestay

  • before placing the child in the care of others for a holiday or while Caregivers or Homestay providers go away

  • before changing your address

  • before changing your phone number or contact details


Students who are already in homestays when they apply for enrolment will not be permitted to begin classes until their homestays and pastoral care have been approved.


What happens when changes are made to caregivers, homestay or pastoral care without first gaining our approval?

  • If we are told straight away, the student will be excluded from classes until approval has been given

  • If we are not told straight away, the student can expect to be expelled – in such circumstances the New Zealand Immigration Service is advised and the student's visa is likely to be revoked.


If an emergency arises therefore it is very important that students immediately contact us and talk about the situation so that safe and sensible arrangements can be made.




For the Code of Practice for the Pastoral Care of International Students go to:


For translations of the Code of Practice for the Pastoral Care of International Students go to:


For information about Unicare Insurance go to: You can find translations of rates and policy details at and claim forms in English and other languages at


For information about Immigration requirements go to:


For help in solving grievances you haven’t been able to solve in talking to us at Carey College go to:

The International Education Appeal Authority, P O Box 1666, Wellington


DEFINITIONS: Understanding the Terms Used


A Parent is a child's natural mother or father, or someone who has legally adopted the child. Homestay "parents" and caregivers are not parents and must not sign documents where a parent's signature is required.


A Guardian is a person who usually provides for the care of the student in the student’s home country

  • AND has been appointed guardian in a will or testament of a parent who has died,

  • OR has been made guardian or given custody of the child by a Court (such as the District Court, Family Court, etc)

  • OR has an overseas custody order that has been registered by a District Court in New Zealand

  • OR has been advised by a New Zealand solicitor that he is a legal guardian.


People often talk about homestay "parents" being the child's guardian, but this is wrong in most cases. If you sign forms where the signature of a "Parent or Legal Guardian" is required when you are not the legal guardian you may be committing an offence and be liable to prosecution and a fine.


Caregiver is a relative or close family friend known to the child appointed by a child's parents as the person responsible for the care of the child while in New Zealand. That care includes supervision of the child's place of living, schooling, health and welfare. The Caregiver may also be the Homestay Provider or may arrange for someone else to provide the Homestay. A person not a relative or close family friend cannot be a Caregiver.


Homestay Provider is a person who has a student living with them in their home.  They are responsible for the accommodation, feeding and daily welfare of the pupil. A Homestay Provider may also be the Caregiver. By law we must approve Homestay Providers and the accommodation provided before a child can be enrolled in Carey College.


Pastoral Care Provider is

  • an elder or other officer of a Church recognised by us as holding to the same Christian faith and practice as Carey College

  • not the Caregiver or Homestay Provider

  • willing to cooperate with us in providing spiritual and pastoral oversight of the student.

bottom of page